Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Book of Lost Tales: Chapter 5 - The Setback

I knew that entering week five of Insanity was going to be a bit rough, but I also felt that the timing of the injury was perfect because week five is a recovery week. The only problem was that at the end of week four, I felt pretty worn down. Also, to my dismay, I woke up on my rest day with a pretty wicked cold. I started thinking that I would only be doing light cardio throughout the entire week (which turned out not to be the case anyway), so I had visions of actually completing the week on time. However, it didn't turn out this way at all.

By the time Monday rolled around, I was sick as a dog. I had a sore throat, major headaches, blocked sinuses and a higher temperature than normal. There is no way that I would made any gains doing cardio comparable to walking that week. I knew that Insanity would be a stretch. For the first time, I did something safe and responsible. I figured that I would take a rest until I felt that I was 100% ready to get back into working out again.

I have to admit that I felt pretty useless during this week. Heavy doses of Nyquil were a regular daily requirement during the week. I must of used up at least four boxes of tissues during the time of my cold. I called off work for a couple of days and tried my best to get back into the flow of things physically and mentally. Most of my days being sick would go like this- I would wake up feeling extremely horrid and force feed myself breakfast and every other meal of the day so I didn't lose muscle and too much weight. Chicken Noodle soup was a pretty clutch meal during this sickness. It's a good idea to try and get healthy through nutrition when fighting a sickness. If I didn't eat much when I was sick, for example, I would of probably seen less muscle development.

In reality, this was probably a risky point in which I could of just quit Insanity. Many people quit by the recovery week. On the other hand, I knew that there was no way I was going to stop "being insane". I had goals and for once, I was having fun on the way to achieving them. I was mentally ready to come back and finish strong.

No comments: