Monday, February 21, 2011

P90X Round 2 Day 1: Chest and Back & Ab Ripper X

"The highest compliment that you can pay me is to say that I work hard every day, that I never dog it."

- Wayne Gretzky
Introduction and Background:
After finishing my first round of P90X, I knew things were not finished for me. I wasn't just going to quit now. I wanted to keep going on. I decided to do a second round of P90X and track my progress on my blog here. I feel this will keep me motivated and mildly entertain some other folks at the same time. I was able to create some pretty good results after my first round and I plan to do the same for my second time around. However, I will do my best to mix things up so I don't get use to the same routines.

Goals
Now, a lot of people get on what I call little "surges" of working out. Basically, working out is a short term thing for most people. For example, someone maybe works up because he wants to impress ladies at the beach with a 6 pack (not saying that there's anything wrong with that). Other people just want to shred their gut off and some just want to increase endurance and stamina. These are nice things and all, but I say why not have long term goals (and I realize that there are some people who have long term lifting goals). Why not work harder? Why not challenge yourself? Why not incorporate this into a lifestyle? Therefore, my goals are rather simple when you sum everything up. I want to improve my lifestyle.

I want to add years to my life. I want to enjoy the rest of my life. I want to look back and smile when I'm older and think of all the crazy things I did in the past to improve myself. I want to have good stories of hard work to tell. That's what I want from this. So no, I'm not going to quit working out after I finish this round of p90X. And no, I am not going to quit eating healthy. I enjoy everything I do right now. Why would I stop? Enough preaching I suppose. Now let's get down to business.

Long term goals:
- Improve lifestyle
- Add years to my life
- Eat nutritious

Short term goals:
- Look like Brad Pitt from Fight Club (just kidding, relax)
- Gain roughly 15 pounds of muscle to a solid 170 pounds
- Improve leg strength
- Improve chest strength
- Provide entertainment for myself and others with this blog

The Tale of the Tape:
Height: 5' 10"
Current weight: 155 lbs
Goal weight: 170 lbs
Current age: 22
Hometown: Wilkes Barre, PA
Max Wide Pull-ups without stopping (no weight): 24
Max Push-ups without stopping (no weight): 44

Pictures (Front and Back view):




Day 01
Ah, day numero uno. Day one of round two made me feel just like the first day I did round one of P90X. I was sprawled out on my floor gasping for air at times. Chest and Back is a rather difficult, but enjoyable workout that involves extreme mechanics of pushing and pulling. There are plenty of chin ups, and a nice variety of them in my opinion. There are three types to be exact (Wide Grip, Close Overhand, Reverse Grip). There are also a great variety of push-ups involved here.

The workout starts out with standard push-ups and I was able to crank out 50 without stopping. I was rather impressed that I hit 50 and am clueless how this happened because I was only able to do in the low 40's near the end of the first round. It's possible that a little bit of rest may have helped. After the standard push-ups you jump into Wide Grip Pull-ups. I was able to crank out 13 with 25 pounds of weight added. I use a dip belt and just put the weight on that while doing the pull-ups. Let me tell you this, it is a lot more difficult doing pull-ups with weight! I feel like there is lead in my shoes when doing these, but I think it will help to gain muscle weight. The workout continues and I was able to dig down pretty good.

Ab Ripper X is probably one of the toughest ab routines ever created. I know that a lot of professional and amateur bodybuilders prefer to do this for their ab workouts. It's a very nice rounded routine that has 11 difficult moves with 25 reps for each move to it. At this point, I am able to do all of the reps, but there were a few today that I had to catch my breath briefly. I particularly do not like the Crunchy Frog workout. Some people actually find this one to be easy, but I always seem wasted by the point of this one. Anyway, I took a brief stop and caught up to the video eventually. No problems with Ab Ripper X.

My diet is really clean but I eat A LOT. I found that if I follow the portion plan from P90X, I actually lose a good amount of weight weekly. One time during round one, I stepped on the scale and noticed a 5 lb loss of weight in one week! Losing weight is not my goal. Therefore, I follow the same percentages of everything as the portion plan, but just increase my calories. I have anywhere from 3750-4000 calories a day. I also like to hit at least 225 grams of protein a day along with at least 100 grams of fat so I don't end up burning muscle. My diet is pretty carb heavy as well at this moment (roughly hitting 400+ grams of carbs a day). I eat a lot, but I don't eat any junk. Here is how my diet went today.

Meal 1:
-Two whole eggs, Three egg whites
-Glass of almond milk
-Cup of oatmeal
-Kiwi

Meal 2:
-Carrots
-Tbsp Olive oil

Meal 3:
-Protein bar
-Protein shake

Meal 4:
-Cup of whole wheat pasta
-Solid White albacore tuna w/ Light Mayo
-Granny Smith Apple
-Cup of Honey nut cherrios

Meal 5:
-12 Crackers
-1 oz dry roasted peanuts
-Peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat
-Orange

Meal 6:
-Protein bar
-Recovery drink

Meal 7:
-Cup of cucumbers
-Glass of Low Sodium V8
-2 scoops of casein protein

As you can see, I eat a lot and I spread all those meals throughout the day. I eat roughly every 2-3 hours to speed the metabolism up. My main goal is to follow this nutrition and SLOWLY gain a pound of muscle a week to minimize fat gaining. I know the abs may get less noticeable, but I eventually plan on doing a cut after gaining all of this muscle. Anyway, sorry for the long post, but this is the first day of round two.

Thanks for reading,
K-Dawg

No comments: