Thursday, March 10, 2011

P90X Round 2 Day 17: Couch to 5K


I decided to switch things up again and I subbed Plyo with a workout my buddy from work came across (Thank you Jason!). It's called "Couch to 5K". Apparently, it's a program designed for any scrub to run 5K (around 3 miles) after 9 weeks. It looks pretty interesting actually and at first glance I got the drift of the workout. It's interval jogging that is increased each time as the weeks progress to build up endurance. The first workout was as follows:

60 seconds jogging
90 seconds walking
*REPEAT intervals until 20 minutes is reached

Now, this seemed pretty easy to me for the first workout so I decided to intensify it. I ran with 5 pound dumbbells and uphill for the end half of the workout. It was pretty tough! I realized about halfway through the jogging that my shoulders were practically numb. Of course, it's pointless to turn back and drop my dumbbells off at the house, because I was about a mile from the house at this point. I decided to just dog it out. The jogging intervals basically turned into me "praying for 60 seconds to pass" intervals. I felt a ridiculous burn in my calves from running uphill with dumbbells again.

I finished the 20 minute interval running 1.49 total miles. I feel that's pretty good for running with dumbbells in intervals. Of course, I still wasn't satisfied so I rode the stationary bike for 20 minutes with maxed out ab crunches at the 10 and 20 minute mark of the bike ride. I really felt a good burn and I was pretty pleased with the workout. I am considering of actually finishing this program the same time of doing P90X.

After I finished the entire workout, I had a MASSIVE protein shake that I personally blended. Here's everything it had in it:

- 6 raw eggs
- 12 oz milk
- 1 scoop of unflavored whey protein powder
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 6 tsp oats
- vanilla flavoring

I will say that I surprisingly agreed with the taste of the protein shake. However, my stomach did not. I felt like I got punched in the stomach for the majority of the night. In summary, this protein shake is obviously pretty healthy (despite the talk of eating raw eggs). It contained over 1200 calories and 100 grams of protein. It is actually a shake that Arnold Schwarzenegger use to train with. Regardless of all the nutrients from the shake, I will most likely not be trying one anytime soon again.

Thanks for reading,
K-Dawg

No comments: